- Anatomy of a mashup | FlowingData • by Nathan Yau
- It's all done in HTML5 and CSS3, so you'll need a modern browser to see it in action.
- Baby Squid, Bugs and Microbes Launched Into Space | Wired: Science
- The experiment would investigate the transpermia hypothesis — which suggests life on Earth may have been seeded by meteorites ripped off the surface of other planets like Venus or Mars. Whether the microbes can survive the ordeal would go a long way toward…debunking the controversial theory.
The microbes on-board Endeavour include the tardigrades… which are large extremophiles that can withstand temperatures as biting as absolute zero, and as hot as 150 degrees Celsius. They’re joined by the Deinococcus radiodurans (which NASA dubbed “Conan the Bacterium“) …
- 20 Easy Exercises You Can Do at Your Desk | Mashable! • by Amy-Mae Elliott
- To ensure you aren’t the only one looking a little silly behind your monitor, why not recruit some office mates for extra motivation?
- Libya: rebellion continues | The Big Picture
- Libya is entering the third month of fighting since a rebellion began in February. Today prosecutors from the International Criminal Court in The Hague issued arrest warrants for Libyan leader Moammar Khadafy…for organizing attacks on civilians during the uprising. Last week, rebels pushed out government troops from the Misrata airport, ending the shelling of that city. Despite air support from NATO, a grinding stalemate endures. Collected here are pictures of the rebellion and daily life in the country of over six million. — Lane Turner (36 photos total)
- Nursing Homes Seeking Reprieve From Health Care Law – NYTimes.com
- Among workers who provide hands-on care to nursing home residents, one in four has no health insurance. Among those who provide care to people living at home, one in three is uninsured.
- ‘Class Warfare’ – NYTimes.com – Paul Krugman
- Paul Ryan is whining about people playing the class warfare card. …
Actually, for the most part critics of his plan haven’t focused on the distributional issues so much as on the nonsense he’s talking
- Held Hostage Over the Debt Ceiling – NYTimes.com – Paul Krugman
- If the president and his allies operate on the principle that failure to raise the debt ceiling is an unthinkable outcome, to be avoided at all cost, then they have ceded all power to those willing to bring that outcome about. In effect, they will have…given control over America’s government to a party that only controls one house of Congress, but claims to be willing to bring down the economy unless it gets what it wants.
- Ron Paul: Get the Government Out of My Government! | Grasping Reality with Both Hands • by J. Bradford DeLong
- Ron Paul's belief is that the state should assist in amplifying social and political crises and injustices whenever the propertied wish to provoke them.
Private fee-simple property is, after all, an institution established and enforced by the government.
- Authoritarian constitution | Hullabaloo – digby
- Just do what you're told citizen and there won't be any problem:
"People have no right to resist if police officers illegally enter their home, the Indiana Supreme Court ruled in a decision that overturns centuries of common law."
- Best Tumblrs to Follow: The Root’s Faves
- The popular microblogging site is filled with Internet goodies — from fabulous vintage photos to cutting-edge fashion finds to tongue-in-cheek jokes about rappers and sports icons. Here are our favorites.
- Burlyce Sherrell Logan: 55 Years to Her Diploma | The Root
- Her story is a reminder that among us walk a dwindling number of people who paid the price to break down racial barriers in this country. In addition to the famous ones who were killed or beaten and/or ended up in jail, thousands of ordinary black people paid in other ways…
- Positive Images of Black Women on TV? They’re There
- …shows that portray black women in a positive light go unpublicized.
[My bookmarks live at delicious.com/camryl. In case it needs to be said: I don’t agree with every word of everything I link to. Also, signal boosts are awesome! –L.]